Location: Sydney Seafood School
Earlier in the month, I attended a cooking class with Miguel Maestre from El Toro Loco (The Crazy Bull). Or for those who like to watch TV, he’s the Spanish dude on “The Living Room” on Channel 10.
Miguel is simply amazing, he was funny, witty, and just a simple pleasure to watch and listen to if I must say. Oh, and of course – a great cook!
This was an introduction or opening (however you wish to take it) to the Good Food and Wine Show 2013. This year they will have new and old celebrity chefs such as Ainsely Harriot, Curtis Stone, Donna Hay, Tobie Puttock, Maggie Beer, Julie Goodwin, Michelle Bridges, and of course … Miguel Maestre!
ANNDDDD … because last year’s Cheese Alley was such an awesome success. This year, the Cheese Alley will have a larger seating area and will showcase 14 of Australia’s best cheese makers. So, all you cheese lovers should be feeling all gooey and excited for all that!!
2013 Show Dates:
Melbourne: June 7 – 10, Melbourne Convention Exhibition Centre
Sydney: June 28 – 30, Sydney Convention & Exhibition Centre
Perth: July 19 – 21, Perth Convention & Exhibition Centre
Brisbane: November 8 – 10, Brisbane Convention & Exhibition Centre
There’s plenty more to see, taste and try for 2013! For more information do visit the Good Food and Wine Show website.
So … allow me to share the Kingfish Ceviche Miguel had shared with us!
This was a great dish, perhaps a good one to keep up your sleeve ready for when summer hits again as it is starting to get so cold!!
It was a hit with flavour, with some sweetness then ending with another hit as you take the shot of vodka after.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Equipment: Food processor, sashimi knife, chopping board, mixing bowls
Poached sweet potato:
200ml (6 ½ fl oz) water
200g (7oz) caster sugar
1 star anise
1 sweet potato (250g/8oz), peeled, cut into1cm dice
Juice 1 lime
1. Stir water, sugar and star anise in small saucepan over low heat, until sugar is dissolved.
2. Add potato, boil gently until potato is just tender – drain.
3. Place in a bowl, drizzle with lime juice.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small stick celery
1 long fresh red chilli
1 garlic clove
1cm piece fresh ginger
½ bunch coriander
Juice 2 lemons
Juice 1 lime
200g (7oz) sashimi grade kingfish fillet, cut into 1cm dice
½ Spanish onion, thinly sliced
1 ice cub
2 shots vodka
1. Place oil, celery, chilli, garlic, ginger, coriander and half the lemon and lime juice in a small processor. Process until smooth. Place in a small serving bowl.
2. Add fish, onion and ice cube. Stand for 4 minutes – this allows acid from the citrus juice to cook the protein in the fish.
3. Place a shot of vodka in each glass. Add a splash of cloudy citrus juice from the fish.
4. Serve ceviche with sweet potato and vodka shot.
Until next time,
- Cass x
Next Stop: Food was invited to the Good Food and Wine Show Cooking class with Miguel Maestre.